WHAT IS PBIS?
Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS)
PBIS is a broad range of systematic and individualized strategies for achieving important social and learning outcomes while preventing problem behavior
• Regain teaching time currently spent in managing misbehavior
• Maximize on-task time and academic achievement.
• Increase positive and civil social behavior
• Increase family engagement in schools
• Improve school climate for students and adults
Long-term outcomes for PBIS schools include:
• Enduring, positive changes in behavior
• Reduction in the need for serious disciplinary measures
• Increase in graduation rates and
• Improvement of post-high school outcomes for all students, including those with challenging behavior and educational disabilities.
Why Focus on Behavior?
Poor behavior in schools can be costly:
• Lost teaching time
• Property damage
• Disrespect, discouragement, frustration
• Low student/staff morale